Interview with Basem Salinas, owner of "Imm Soo Chi" Clothing Line

The Monkey's Spoon Fashion caught up with Basem Salinas the owner of Imm Soo Chi Clothing here is what he had to say...

By: Chela

The Monkey's Spoon Fashion -   Before we get started can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Basem - I was born in Chicago grew up in Pilsen, and then moved to Cicero. Now I live in the Midway area.  When I was a kid I got into art.  I started using stencils on shirts, a lot of people liked it, and then that’s how I got the idea of doing it.

TMS Fashion -   What’s your company’s name and where did your inspiration come from?

Basem - My clothing line is called “Imm Soo Chi”.  What inspired me to do this was through my art and I wanted to represent Chicago.  There’s a lot out there but doesn't really represent Chicago, like they should be, this brand does that.
 
TMS Fashion -  Yes, it does, I see you use the Chicago Skyline. I love it! It definitely represents Chicago.

Basem -  There’s a lot of shirts out there that have Chicago but not really saying much so I wanted something that would represent Chicago, a lot of people tell me that my shirt can be the next big famous Chicago t-shirt, like New York has their famous t-shirt “I love NY” t-shirt.

TMS Fashion -  That is a big vision, is the Chicago Skyline your logo?

Basem -  The skyline was the first design to represent my clothing line but there is an emblem that I am currently working on and will start incorporating it on my shirts, maybe front and back. 

TMS Fashion -  Who is you favorite designer?

Basem -  I was inspired by Marc Ecko (American Fashion Designer founder of Marc Ecko Enterprises also known as Ecko Unltd.)  If he can do it through he’s art then I can probably do it.

TMS Fashion - Who is your target audience?

Basem - On my Facebook it shows age group from 14-24 years old but I have gotten people from 65 years old telling me that they like my stuff.  Little kids such as my niece and nephews also tell me they can’t wait to wear my next “Imm Soo Chi”, t-shirt.  It’s something for families to wear but it’s really for anyone who loves Chicago.

TMS Fashion - When did you start your business?

Basem -  It was founded in September of last year 2012.  I just started making shirts in the beginning of March, been doing it for 4 months and almost to our 100 t-shirts.  I have gotten a lot of good reviews.

TMS Fashion - Wow! Sounds great,  it seems like pretty soon you will be well known.

Basem - Hopefully, that’s what I am going for.  This is just the start; I have a bunch of other designs waiting to come out.

TMS Fashion -   What other type of designs do you sell? 

Basem -  For now we have T-Shirts, Tank-tops, V-necks, for woman off the shoulder and flowing long shirts.  Later on we will get into shorts, yoga pants, leggings and shoes.

TMS Fashion -  Shoes?! You said the magic word for me.

Basem -  (Laughs) Eventually we will be doing hats and pants then shoes.

TMS Fashion -  So for shoes would it be only for men or woman or both?

Basem - I don’t see why not both.  When I incorporate my design I try to design for both men and woman.

TMS Fashion - What are your business strategies?

Basem - Well, what I really wanted to do is a brand that Chicago people could enjoy and from that maybe have respect and love towards one another.  We can all get along together, show our love for Chicago through our clothing line.

TMS Fashion - It could happen maybe calm down on the violence.

Basem - Pretty much show love for Chicago. 

TMS Fashion - I see you created a Blackhawks T-shirt?

Basem - No, I didn't it was one of my brother brands.  I support other brands for the love of Chicago.  I try to show love to other business.  Nobody needs be competing against each other; we are all going for the same thing.  Help each other out by advertising each other’s business on our websites.  All for love.

TMS Fashion - Well said!  So what other social media or other avenues do you use to promote your business?

Basem -  I have Instagram, Facebook, by word of mouth customers and family.  Family helps out a lot recommending my clothing line.  I have gotten a lot of positive feedback; also have another interview line up for a radio station in Atlanta.  Also have a magazine out in California they want to do an article on my brand.  I’ve also gotten hip-hop artist to wear my t-shirts.

TMS Fashion - Which Hip Hop Artist?

Basem - Brother Ali.  Been looking more into Chicago artist, there’s a lot of talent.  I support that maybe someday I will be right there with them, because I do that too.  Someday I will get into that but right now I am focus on my clothing line.    

TMS Fashion - Being a business owner, how has that changed your life?


Basem - It made me realize who people really are.  Can’t really put your trust in others, you see people for who they really are.  I know my family but a lot of people try to take advantage of you.  Made me wizen up and made me realize a lot of things.  I have a lot of peoples respect.  A lot of recognition, they see potential.  Our business is already gone national.  Other states, California, New York and Florida.  It’s a great accomplishment.

TMS Fashion - That is good you got to have family on your side. 

Basem - Yes you do family first.  When you start acting a certain way, I was a big party animal and then I started to live life through Christ, you really see who your true friends are.  They really don’t stick around for that.  They think you are going to preach to them.  I really saw who my true friends were.  The real ones stick around.

TMS Fashion - That's right and to go out there you need the support.

Basem - Yes and for people to wear my clothing line it is an honor.

TMS Fashion - Any advice for entrepreneurs, who want to start their own business?

Basem - Yes, a lot of people told me that I wouldn't be able to do it, don’t believe it.  Follow your dreams.  I had a vision and went through with it.  Staying consistent, you will get there.  I am really excited because this was all a dream I had.  I believe anybody can achieve their dreams. 

TMS Fashion - Where can we find your products?

Basem -  Everything is on my Facebook page, “Imm Soo Chi”. 

TMS Fashion -  Price range on T-Shirts?

Basem -  Adult T-Shirts $20, Kids T-Shirts $15, baseball sweatshirts and off the shoulder woman’s top are $25.

TMS Fashion -  Any final words?

Basem - I want to thank God first, my girlfriend she’s helped me bring this dream to reality.  My mom has always been supportive.  Family and close friends from high school they have helped me out.  They help me out with designs and I am helping them out.  They are helping me so much.  Hopefully everything works out. 


TMS Fashion - Thank you so much for your time, we will definitely help out and do our part and spread the word.  We will be posting your interview soon so keep an eye out. 

Basem - Thank you very much for you doing this I really appreciate it.  Hopefully everything goes well for you guys. 

TMS Fashion - Thank you and goodnight.



You can find Imm Soo Chi on Facebook at www.facebook.com/immsoochi
Instagram - ImmSooChi